Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Baby Laney

(Megan, before our sweet Laney arrived).

On Thursday of last week, I got the news that my sister had been admitted to the hospital with possible preeclampsia.  At this point, she was 37 weeks pregnant.  My mom and I were not sure what to do, but it wasn't long before we decided to hit the road and make the journey from Charlotte to Wilmington to be with my sister, Megan, and my brother-in-law, Seth.  We made it to the hospital around 7:30 p.m.  Shortly before getting there, I ate steak quesadillas, a taco, and nachos at Taco Bell.  Apparently, I was stress eating for us all.  At the hospital, we were told that no decisions would be made until Friday.  With my patience, this wasn't good. 

So Friday rolls around and we get the official word that they were going to induce Megan.  I'll spare you all the glory details of the induction process, but needless to say by Saturday night I was ready for Laney to make her appearance.  I had ate enough hospital food, fast food, and junk to clog my arteries.  Both the Stroup family and the Sholar family camped out at the hospital Saturday night.  Around 2 a.m. on Sunday morning, I left Megan's room and made my way to the hospital lobby to sleep on a random couch.  Both families were littered all over random chairs and sofas.  We looked homeless -- we had been in the same clothes for two days.  At 7:30 a.m. my Mom came to tell us that no progress had been made.  None of us downstairs were giving birth, but we all looked devastated.  However, within minutes, my baby sister, Sarah, ran out to tell us that the Doctor had just been in and it was "go time." 

By 9:25 a.m., four days after arriving at the hospital, our beautiful Laney Elizabeth Sholar was born.  And she was perfect...10 fingers, 10 toes, a head of hair, and completely healthy.  Around 10:30, we all got to go up to see her, Megan, and Seth.  Of course, tears flowed, hugs were shared, and two families became one.  When we were leaving, Seth was sitting with Baby Laney in the rocking chair.  (Zack is going to beat me for sharing this part...)  But, I watched as Zack walked over to where Seth was rocking his new angel.  Meanwhile, most everyone else had cleared the room.  Zack put his hand on the chair Seth was sitting in and began to cry.  My strong, tough man was moved to tears watching his brother hold his newborn baby girl.  I share this because in that moment I knew and Zack knew that we had witnessed a miracle.  Our siblings had given birth to a perfect baby girl.  God had blessed us all.  Sure, babies are born everyday, but they are each such a gift.

 I have never slept as well as I did on Sunday night.  My niece, our angel, was here.          

Keep scrolling after the below pictures...I have a little message for baby Laney:  



To Baby Laney:

I hope when you get older your Mommy and Daddy read this to you.  

Uncle Zack and Aunt Rachel love you and love you more than we can express in words.  You hold the world in the palm of your hand.  This world is your playground and nothing is unreachable.  Your dreams can come true.  Don't listen to those that are negative for they are only unhappy with their situation.  We will always be there for you.  Uncle Zack can teach you all about farm life.  Aunt Rachel can teach you how to spend Uncle Zack's money.  Well, and maybe how to wear nude pumps and leopard.  I can't wait to watch you grow up.      

We are so proud of your Mommy and Daddy.  Although they are young, they've showed that they are pillars of strength and will forever love their little girl.  Trust them, they will steer you in the right direction. 

You changed us all.  You changed us for the better.  Your little eyes are full of hope.  I hope my future little girl (or boy) can be as beautiful and perfect as you.  Here's to a good life, princess!  It is going to be an incredible ride.         
 The little giraffe going home...

2 comments: